Tuesday 5 April 2016

IDENTITY -portraits

I have briefly started exploring vernacular photography through people's personal space. To see what kind of messages photographic image can create in relation to how it presents a person. I am hoping to see through these photos that over time I can infer from the images specific aspects of said persons character traits and their tastes. I will continue exploring this over time, with a range of different people and hopefully there will be some improvement in my photography skills as well as my ability to portray meaning within my photos through composition.

This will be useful for my final project, I've decided to start with someone I already know quite well because I feel, I will be able to see if elements of her personality are represented through the photos more easily. I later plan to try and photograph people/persons that I don't know as well in order to see what I can infer from the images I have taken concerning identity and personality traits. It will also be interesting to see how familiarity with the camera and myself will be reflected.




We had a very casual set up and arrangement, in her flat on campus. It was really funny because despite knowing my subject really well, she was really shy and silly when it came to being photographed. It was a real struggle at times to try and get her to sit still- because of this the focus of my images has suffered in a minor way, but I quite like how this has been reflected in the photos because it has made them quite soft and casual feeling in terms of mood.
This shoot also reminded me that often it is difficult to capture someones identity through image because unlike film, you only see a 2D image, of one particular angle. Maybe if I had filmed her over a period of time she would have become more relaxed and I could have captured her personality more freely and easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment