Thursday 21 April 2016

Role of technology in identity

 I asked my friend Ashleigh if I could photograph her just in her room, doing normal daily things. She spent the whole time either on her phone or on her macbook, which gave me some progression towards developing the topic for my photographic essay.


Ashleigh's room was very stimulating visually but she spent most of the time I was taking photos sitting at her laptop. This was very interesting. It might be interesting to look into the way people present themselves through social media in comparison to in a comfortable situation at home.

I like how the contrast I used in my photographs have come out, making the room seem very vibrant, highlighting other elements of her identity aside from the role of technology - but not subtracting from the key element which is the laptop she is on and the phone in her hand.

I found that it was hard to try and keep details from around her to try and represent her environment as well as, showing the focus on her and the technology and the relationship between them as the most important message of the photographs.

I also tried to play with lighting and found that it was really interesting to see that we very easily lost the details in lots of elements of the room, but the technology within the images, were always still visible. This could be used to signify the key role which technology and social networking plays within today's society. We are drawn visually to the electric details in these images because they are deemed important.

No comments:

Post a Comment