Wednesday 6 April 2016

Using Flash Guns

Working with flash guns was a new concept to me. This session helped me to realise the importance and effect of lighting and the consequences of over-saturation or undersaturation of light. 

In the image below you can see that the picture is over exposed to light, which means that we lose a lot of detail in the subjects face where the flash has caused the white in the image to bleed into the facial detail. It might be interesting in future to explore using this to an advantage and to create certain effects within my imagery. 


Where as in the next image we can see that this photograph has been under exposed to light, a lot of detail has been lost through there not being enough light to show certain aspects such as the difference in colour between the background/subjects hair and clothing. It takes a lot of contrast in colour and composition for details to be seen when using this sort of lighting as can be seen in the screen in the background still appearing due to its white colour.



 It took a while for Amelia and I to figure out the importance of measurements when considering making sure the background could be seen. It seems photography is far more scientific than I first thought! I have started to consider where light is lost, which will help me in future to more carefully consider distance between objects and things I am trying to capture on film. In the picture above, the light is lost in-between Amelia and the background because she is much closer to the camera than the background, the light the flash gun creates is lost inbetween.


I would like to further experiment with flash guns in my project. I think this would be appropriate as I am planning to focus more on portrait photography anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment