Monday 2 May 2016

My final selection of photographs

Choosing my final six images was a real challenge because I had taken some photographs which I felt I favoured in very personal ways. But I had to make sure that the ones I put forward in my essay were most appropriate and effective in communicating the narrative, comments and comparisons I was trying to make overall. I generally believe that the selection I have made is effective and successful in engaging my audience and communicating a real sense of the kind of impact technology has on our lives. 

Working on this project has definitely helped to develop a sharp eye when it comes to decoding and really finding a message and photographer-audience relationship in images. I have also become much more confident in my story telling through my photography 
 IMAGE 1:
This image was my starting point, it is perfectly expectable for any member of society to be using their phones in their bedroom when alone. This image is a perfect starting point for my essay to begin with, it allows for development throughout and acts to really set the scene. The soft lighting in this photograph gives a really familiar mood and I have roughly composed this image using the rule of thirds. The medium aperture and depth of field brings attention to my subject- Mollie, but also adds a sense of punctum as we catch an additional feel of identity through the elements surrounding her.

IMAGE 2:
The second photograph is key in starting to develop the narrative/story telling element to this essay. The concept of technology is a repeating element. Again I have used the rule of thirds and also the golden rule to compose this image, keeping consistent with the previous image. The lighting is still soft, portraying a comfortable environment along with other elements such as the fact Mollie is wearing a dressing gown. The subject has not broken the fourth wall, which gives the photo an observatory feel.   

IMAGE 3:
Again the soft lighting reflects an inside setting. Another daily task is presented whilst still on her phone. The phone becoming a consistent element in the photos. The rule of thirds and the golden rule are still in use. I really like how she is in focus but her finger isn't which really helps to depict her concentration on her phone and how engrossed she is. 



 IMAGE 4:
Despite this photo breaking the consistent lighting throughout so far, I think it helps to highlight a development, Mollie is now using two devices at once, whilst eating. All these elements fit really nicely into the rule of thirds and the golden rule in this photograph. Consistency can be found in her lack of emotion facially. I also really like how she is captured eating in her room.

IMAGE 5:
I chose this image because I really liked the use of reflection, the focus being on the 'real' verson of Mollie who is focused on her phone whilst getting ready  to go out, she seems not interested in self image at all because technology comes first. Soft lighting continues along with the blue/white glow of the phone outlining Mollie's face in an unnatural way.

IMAGE 6: 
This photograph is most significant, it gives us comparison. Finally we are taken outdoors into a new environment. All composition rules still applied. Still not in the moment, still on the phone. This photograph is crucial in completing the narrative. The change from artificial lighting to natural lighting plays a key part in this. Consistency in these photographs can also be found in colours used; pink being a main theme, giving rise to representation of young females in our society and the impacts of social connectivity through technology. 


No comments:

Post a Comment